Re: [Fsfe-uk] Logo suggestion

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Logo suggestion
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:54:33 +0000

Alistair:
> The general idea I had was that people aren't used to freedom being an
> aspect of software, so I went for something that would be universally
> recognisable as "free"- a torch. I could babble about the symbolism of the
> little swirl in the middle, but the only important bit is that it gives the
> logo a more "corporate" feel (Scott Adams all the best corporations are
> using coffee stains for logos these days, cf. Consignia), and also counts
> as a postmodern intertextual reference to the Debian logo.

Torches we have to be sort of careful about, as one of the political parties
uses them as its logo.  Likewise, soaring birds and mozilla-ad-style people
dramatically planting flags of freedom are also probably out of it.

Should we reference any other logos?  That was a huge discussion point on
the FSFE logo before they chose that 70s throwback and the right-wing colour
scheme.  What colours should we aim for?  I tend towards greens and purples
for this, but there's never much of a grounding for particular colours.
Royal Blue, Gold and that Red are probably no-nos like the icongraphy, but
that's less strong.

My sketch (past list, still no web space to upload to... must arrange some)
was based around the blade idea developing nessie's current logo.  I like
that theme (sort of "cutting licence restrictions", "setting you free" etc),
but it could be done in a much better cartoon style than my stilted version.

> PS- Look MJR, I got the right email addy working from uni! ;)

I'm impressed.  Maybe this won't bounce ;_)
--
MJR