[Fsfe-uk] Logo suggestion

From: Alistair Davidson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Logo suggestion
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:08:03 +0000

I was reading Nessie's task list and noticed that we're still experimenting with logos... I'm bored in my computing lab so I got to work. All I had to hand were Word's "I am bloat, here me roar!" vector drawing tools, and paint. Still, I think this does as a pre-alpha concept sketch...

Sorry for it being a bitmap, but I made it monochrome so it's <14k... also sorry for sending a binary attachment to the list, but I can't upload to my webspace from here (see why I'm bored? ;)

The general idea I had was that people aren't used to freedom being an aspect of software, so I went for something that would be universally recognisable as "free"- a torch. I could babble about the symbolism of the little swirl in the middle, but the only important bit is that it gives the logo a more "corporate" feel (Scott Adams all the best corporations are using coffee stains for logos these days, cf. Consignia), and also counts as a postmodern intertextual reference to the Debian logo.

Before I *entirely* disappear up my own arse, other notes are that I've not really considered text much yet, though I've though about "Association For" on the left side and "Freedom in Software" on the other, roughly conforming to the shape of the flame. No way am I attempting to draw *that* in Word ;) Also, I was thinking a simple colour-scheme, I have a few thoughts on that (orange flames? all filled black in a silhouette?), but it's hard to say atm.

Any thoughts? Is this a blind alley or should I refine the idea? (or better yet, I'll get Gwen too, she's far more the graphic designer than me... to carry on the Scott Adams theme, "I'm more of an ideas rat")

PS- Look MJR, I got the right email addy working from uni! ;)