Getting victory hands symbol from Wingdings

From: Andreas Falkenhahn
Subject: Getting victory hands symbol from Wingdings
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 19:53:38 +0200

I'm having some problems working with Wingdings.ttf from Microsoft. The font
has three charmaps:

Charmap 0: FT_ENCODING_APPLE_ROMAN
Charmap 1: FT_ENCODING_MS_SYMBOL
Charmap 2: FT_ENCODING_UNICODE

As per the documentation, FT_ENCODING_UNICODE is selected as the active charmap
by FT_Open_Face().

Now I want to get the "victory hands" symbol from Wingdings using
FT_Get_Char_Index(). In Apple Roman encoding, this symbol is at codepoint $41.
In MS Symbol encoding it is at codepoint $F041. In Unicode it should be at
codepoint $270C.

However, FT_Get_Char_Index() only works correctly for Apple Roman and MS Symbol
encoding. FT_Get_Char_Index() correctly returns 36 for codepoint $41 if the
active charmap is Apple Roman and it also correctly returns 36 for codepoint
$F041 if the active charmap is MS Symbol.

If the active charmap is Unicode, though, FT_Get_Char_Index() returns 0 for
codepoint $270C. What's the reason for this? Is the Unicode charmap in
Wingdings somehow broken or am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:andreas@falkenhahn.com