Re: Initial pen position in freetype?

From: Andrew Tomazos
Subject: Re: Initial pen position in freetype?
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 18:47:39 +1000

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 6:14 PM Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-central.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 17:48:38 +1000, Andrew Tomazos wrote:
>
> > In FreeType Glyph Conventions / V it says:
> >
> > <quote>
> > Writing simple text strings

> All I can say is, don’t do that. Use FreeType for what it’s good at:
> imaging individual glyphs, and giving you information about
> associated character mappings, metrics etc. For anything more than

that, use a proper graphics library. I have used Cairo a lot for its
> useful 2D graphics capabilities and basic text rendering. For more
> advanced text layout (OpenType font features and bidirectional text),
> HarfBuzz and FreeBidi are handy additions to the mix.

Thanks for your advice, but it doesn't answer my question.  Please review
my initial post.  What combination of metrics should be used to set the
initial pen position appropriately?  ie How far below and to the right of
the upper left corner of a text box should the origin of the first
character be?  See
https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/glyphs/glyphs-3.html for a
reference about glyph metrics.  An answer to my question would involve a
pair of integer expressions in terms of the members of FT_FaceRec and/or
FT_GlyphRec.