Re: Initial pen position in freetype?

From: Andrew Tomazos
Subject: Re: Initial pen position in freetype?
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 17:48:38 +1000

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 9:59 AM Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-central.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 19:22:01 +1000, Andrew Tomazos wrote:
>
> > What I mean by "pen" is the FT_Vector translation vector that is
> > passed to FT_Set_Transform before each call to FT_Load_Glyph as each
> > glyph is rendered.
>
> That’s not meant to be used as a “pen”.

In FreeType Glyph Conventions / V it says:

<quote>
Writing simple text strings

1. Convert the character string into a series of glyph indices.
2. Place the pen to the cursor position.
3. Get or load the glyph image.

*4. Translate the glyph so that its ‘origin’ matches the pen position.*5.
Render the glyph to the target device.
6. Increment the pen position by the glyph's advance width (in pixels).
7. Start over at step 3 for each of the remaining glyphs.
8. When all glyphs are done, set the text cursor to the new pen position.
</quote>

I believe my use of the term "pen" is the same as in the freetype
documentation, no?  And I thought that FT_Set_Transform is what is intended
to implement step 4.  Is that not correct?  If not, then how is step 4
supposed to be implemented?  And why is FT_Set_Transform unsuitable?