Re: Initial pen position in freetype?

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Subject: Re: Initial pen position in freetype?
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 20:14:07 +1200

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 17:48:38 +1000, Andrew Tomazos wrote:

> In FreeType Glyph Conventions / V it says:
>
> <quote>
> Writing simple text strings

All I can say is, don’t do that. Use FreeType for what it’s good at:
imaging individual glyphs, and giving you information about
associated character mappings, metrics etc. For anything more than
that, use a proper graphics library. I have used Cairo a lot for its
useful 2D graphics capabilities and basic text rendering. For more
advanced text layout (OpenType font features and bidirectional text),
HarfBuzz and FreeBidi are handy additions to the mix.