Re: [ft] lsb_delta / rsb_delta support in Linux libraries?

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [ft] lsb_delta / rsb_delta support in Linux libraries?
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:07:06 -0400

AS> Hmm, I installed pango 1.28.0 (that's the latest one I could get a
AS> package of under openSUSE), and it still matches the no-deltas
AS> rendering of ft-view.  1.28.1's NEWS file doesn't suggest that there
AS> were any relevant changes.

My appologies.  It must have been a trick of the text I passed to p-v.
Using 'Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer' to match ft-diff's
default text I also now see results which match the autohint -delta.

>> As a side note, fc-match(1) tells me that 8 pt at 96 dpi is 10⅔ px; a
>> 10⅔ px font at my display’s 133 dpi is approximently 5 7/9 pt.  Tiny!

AS> The 10pt @96dpi fonts on my display look quite large. But with web
AS> designers hardcoding 8pt fonts (or sometimes even 8px fonts), the
AS> situation described above (8pt @96dpi) is quite common. There's also
AS> the fact that e.g. Webkit has hardcoded 96 dpi.

It obviously depends a lot on the display's resolution.  The best thing
I did for comfortable browsing was to configure gecko to use my font and
ignore whatever nonsensical font spec spewing from any websites I visit.

I'm sure Behdad would accept a patch for pango and/or harbuzz, as
applicable, to make use of the delta info from ft.  I'd also expect
Nokia to accept one for Qt.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6