[ft] lsb_delta / rsb_delta support in Linux libraries?

From: Alexander Shaduri
Subject: [ft] lsb_delta / rsb_delta support in Linux libraries?
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:01:26 +0400

Hello,

I would like to know about current state of lsb_delta / rsb_delta support
in modern Linux libraries (Qt, Pango, ...), if you have any information about
that.

I'm using auto-hinter on my desktop and the thing is, sometimes the results
are way bad (e.g. Arial bold 8pt at 96dpi), the letter spacing is very
inconsistent.
Then I checked "ftdiff -r 96 -s 8 arialbd.ttf" and saw that the bad results
happen when it's in "no deltas" mode, while in "deltas" mode the auto-hinter's
spacing looks very very nice.
See, for example, this: http://artificialtime.com/ft/ftdiff_lsb_rsb.png

So, does anybody know if there are plans of implementing these deltas
in common desktop libraries?

Also, I'm not sure exactly what this feature is called (I guess I would file the
bug reports to respective trackers, if necessary; I just don't want to screw
up the terminology).

Thanks,
Alexander