Re: [ft] lsb_delta / rsb_delta support in Linux libraries?

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [ft] lsb_delta / rsb_delta support in Linux libraries?
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:01:35 -0400

AS> Then I checked "ftdiff -r 96 -s 8 arialbd.ttf" and saw that the bad
AS> results happen when it's in "no deltas" mode, while in "deltas" mode
AS> the auto-hinter's spacing looks very very nice.

Doing this shows that the deltas mode only affects the autofit module.
Even the 'light auto hinter mode (as it is labeled in ftdiff(1)) does
not show changes when toggling the deltas flag.

AS> So, does anybody know if there are plans of implementing these deltas
AS> in common desktop libraries?

AFAICT, in pango-view, with --hinting=auto, the text matches ftdiff(1)’s
results when the delta flag is set.  This suggests that pango does what
you want.

I currently have pango-1.28.1 installed, FWIW.

As a side note, fc-match(1) tells me that 8 pt at 96 dpi is 10⅔ px; a
10⅔ px font at my display’s 133 dpi is approximently 5 7/9 pt.  Tiny!

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6