Re: [Freetype] Truetype 1 to Freetype 2

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Truetype 1 to Freetype 2
Date: 13 Aug 2002 17:37:26 +0100

OC>  I am converting a Truetype 1 program (TT_ functions) to freetype 2 (FT_
OC> functions). I found it not a very easy task. Does anybody has some
OC> experience with a such thing ?

My memory of the needed changes is somewhat vague, but here's what I
remember.  The main difference is that instances in FT 1 are first
class objects; in FT 2, they are called sizes, and need to be
explicitly activated when switching sizes of a single face.  I
preferred the approach taken in FT 1, although I guess for people
writing more normal code than mine the change would be no big deal.

Then there are changes to the way you need to deal with glyph
containers, but I don't remember the details offhand.

Due to the better abstraction in FT 2, it is sometimes more difficult
to get your hands at the data you need.  I found myself needing to
manually get at private data structures, until David (or was it
Werner?) was kind enough to implement the interfaces I needed.

OC> Doing that I assume that the bitmap format generated by the TT_ and
OC> the FT_ functions are the same.

I may be mistaken, but as far as I know FT 1 was able to include any
padding you may need in the generated bitmaps.  In FT 2, you need to
do the blit yourself if you need padding.  Please do correct me if I
am wrong.

                                        Juliusz