Re: [Freetype] Truetype 1 to Freetype 2

From: Olivier Couet
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Truetype 1 to Freetype 2
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:43:37 +0200 (CEST)

> OC>  I am converting a Truetype 1 program (TT_ functions) to freetype 2 (FT_
> OC> functions). I found it not a very easy task. Does anybody has some
> OC> experience with a such thing ?
>
> My memory of the needed changes is somewhat vague, but here's what I
> remember.  The main difference is that instances in FT 1 are first
> class objects; in FT 2, they are called sizes, and need to be
> explicitly activated when switching sizes of a single face.  I
> preferred the approach taken in FT 1, although I guess for people
> writing more normal code than mine the change would be no big deal.
>
> Then there are changes to the way you need to deal with glyph
> containers, but I don't remember the details offhand.
>
> Due to the better abstraction in FT 2, it is sometimes more difficult
> to get your hands at the data you need.  I found myself needing to
> manually get at private data structures, until David (or was it
> Werner?) was kind enough to implement the interfaces I needed.
>
> OC> Doing that I assume that the bitmap format generated by the TT_ and
> OC> the FT_ functions are the same.
>
> I may be mistaken, but as far as I know FT 1 was able to include any
> padding you may need in the generated bitmaps.  In FT 2, you need to
> do the blit yourself if you need padding.  Please do correct me if I
> am wrong.

 Actually, the main difficulty I encounter was the rendering of the
glyph bitmap into the X11 image. Thanks to Michael Pfeiffer who pointed
me the xpdf program written by Derek B. Noonburg, I found the way it
should be done. Seems to me the FT2 documentation on the web is quite good
but a simple "Hello world" example is really missing. That would be great
to have something really simple doing the whole work until the rendering
into an X11 window.

Olivier