Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards comp

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards compatibility mode and linear advance widths
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 14:54:49 +0100

Thanks :) they don't appear to have the problem, yes, but I see some other small distortions here and there under v35. The effects of bi-level hinting for monochrome display? I guess backwards compatibility mode can be as complex as you want.

I'm currently annoyed that DejaVu Sans and to some extent Verdana Bold (Italic) show some ugly glitches when allowing DELTAPs on Y-touched points as the Microsoft paper recommends. DejaVu Sans looks slightly glitchy even when suppressing the above :(

Ubuntu Regular and some other members of the family also show some minor glitches that I linked to DELTAP/SHPIX suppression. No deal breakers but I don't understand why Dalton Maag tried to make the family look good in bi-level gray rendering. All other web fonts I found so far display fine.