Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards comp

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards compatibility mode and linear advance widths
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 13:08:06 +0100

Seconded.  Even if we somehow suppress horizontal hinting we won't get
good results, I believe, since virtually all TrueType fonts try to
align to full pixels, something the auto-hinter doesn't do in many
cases.

So that settles it, unless someone knows of a reliable way to weaken full-pixel hinting on the Y-axis. I'm doubtful here, given the explicit nature of bytecode instructing and how a lot of hinting is probably done unsystematically and by eye.

I'm limiting the scope of my v38, it should be just the default variant of the v35 interpreter to be used in FT_LOAD_TARGET_NORMAL. The suppression of point movement on the x-axis should make it suitable for x-axis-emboldening though, hopefully also for "Native ClearType" fonts.

It is probably a much better idea to heave the CFF grid-fitter into its' own module and rework the autohinter to use it. I guess that would also take care of the long-standing implementation bugs in the autohinter fitting code and replace them with newer bugs? ;)

PS: I just found that DFKai-SB doesn't work with my v38 but with v35. ifelse statements incoming :)