Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards comp

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Experimental: v38 interpreter with minimal backwards compatibility mode and linear advance widths
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 16:56:56 +0100

AFAIK, Microsoft maintains a whitelist of common fonts that must be
handled specially, that is, where the default settings for backwards
compatibility don't work correctly.  Essentially, the Infinality stuff
does something similar.  If a font is not contained in the whitelist
we simply have to trust that it does the right thing.

It just occurred to me that a list of "legacy fonts" like Arial and DejaVu * might actually be a good idea, but not for toggling compatibility hacks -- instead for routing these fonts through the autohinter e.g. when in light mode.

Although the common TrueType hinting practice of clamping stems to integers horizontally is not really compatible with the softer look of the autohinter and the CFF grid fitter, so I'm second-guessing if I actually want native TT hinting to be part of light mode. Hrrmm.