Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction and FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction and FreeType
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 12:43:31 +0100 (CET)

> I updated that page with an approach that applies a per-glyph
> translation which is calculated in such a way that it should result
> in symmetric antialiasing around stems, to the degree it is possible
> with the approach I chose.  In fact, this translation is calculated
> in two ways: [...]

You might have a look at the auto-hinter code which is related to
FreeType's `warper' option:

  /*************************************************************************/
  /*                                                                       */
  /* Compile autofit module with warp hinting.  The idea of the warping    */
  /* code is to slightly scale and shift a glyph within a single dimension */
  /* so that as much of its segments are aligned (more or less) on the     */
  /* grid.  To find out the optimal scaling and shifting value, various    */
  /* parameter combinations are tried and scored.                          */
  /* This experimental option is only active if the render mode is         */
  /* FT_RENDER_MODE_LIGHT.                                                 */
/* #define AF_CONFIG_OPTION_USE_WARPER */

Any improvements to this code are highly welcomed :-)