Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction and FreeType

From: Antti Lankila
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] gamma correction and FreeType
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 08:52:49 +0200

Dave Arnold <address@hidden> kirjoitti 11.11.2013 kello 23.35:

> Nothing stupid that I can see :-) .
>
> FreeType 2.5 made the new Adobe CFF rasterizer the default hinting engine for
> CFF. You can, at run time, select the autohint engine as an alternative.

I found a couple of CFF fonts and played with them over the weekend. It seems
like the results with CFF hinting and stem darkening were actually really
good-looking at all sizes.

However, TTF fonts get hinted in the old way, using either its bytecode or
autohinter. The bytecode may be designed for the aliased Windows rasterizer in
mind, which produces various problems with freetype when its program is
executed, or the autohinter tends to work poorly sometimes depending on glyph,
size, etc. So either way, results with TTF have a chance of being poor.

I’m, however, encouraged by the results with CFF (though I only tried a couple
of font files so far). Has it been studied if converting the outline definition
from TTF to CFF automatically is feasible in order to always use this new
hinting engine, or should we basically throw away TTF files entirely now?

—
Antti