Re: [ft-devel] [ttfautohint] stem width handling is now selectable

From: vern adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [ttfautohint] stem width handling is now selectable
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:53:00 +0100

Started to post test results at http://code.newtypography.co.uk/
I have more (i.e. Ubuntu Font, plus greyscale shots)  but will not get round to posting those screenshots untill tomorrow.
Any votes for other fonts i should test?

The results are pretty good i think. The new routine run with the -w 'gGD' arg improves rendering on Cleartype GDI & DW. Still a few smaller issues to look out for. But i can also start to now see instances where some render details are superior under ttfautohint output.

The only really weak area now is if you compare ttfautohint output against fonts hinted manually on both X and Y-axis, and with a gasp table set to not anti-alias below 16-ish pts, under GDI greyscale rendering (ClearType off). That's still the area that properly hinted fonts work better in. Under those circumstances the ttfautohint'd font looks more 'blurry' (as they say!) across the x-axis. The autohinted font needs anti-alisaing on under 16-ish pts to look ok, with no anti aliasing at those small sizes x-axis stem widths get irregular. I will post those shots tomorrow i hope.

-vernon