Re: [ft-devel] Re: [tex-live] Fw: "CMap Resources" open source project

From: Ken Lunde
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Re: [tex-live] Fw: "CMap Resources" open source project
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 06:00:05 -0700

Albert,

You wrote:

I discussed this with the Acrobat team today, and putting the Acrobat mapping files under the same open source license sees very favorable.

Nice :-)

This is one of the benefits of both working at Adobe Systems and having Acrobat's ear. ;-)

If I can make it happen, it may take until the end of October for the open source project to go live.

In the poppler[1] project we also would also like to see files like Adobe-Japan1-UCS2 be released under a free license since we use them. I think they are part of those "Acrobat mapping files" you mention, but just to be sure.

The Adobe-{CNS1,GB1,Japan1,Korea1}-UCS2 files are the "ToUnicode" mapping files, and are among the Acrobat mapping files that we are discussing. They are a special case of the Acrobat mapping files in that they specifically map CIDs to character codes, specifically UTF-16BE, in a unidirectional manner.

Regards...

-- Ken