[ft-devel] Re: [tex-live] Fw: "CMap Resources" open source project

From: Ken Lunde
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: [tex-live] Fw: "CMap Resources" open source project
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 19:04:50 -0700

Jiang,

You wrote:

Just curious, it does not seemed to contain "Unicode Mapping files" like GBK-EUC-UCS2, Adobe-GB1-UCS2, GBpc-EUC-UCS2, etc. Are they dropped? Because it is useful for dvipdfmx to generate correct bookmarks if the source encoding is not Unicode.

These are not CMap resources, but they indeed use CMap syntax. It is thus easy to confuse them with genuine CMap resources. A genuine CMap resource maps character codes to CIDs in a unidirectional manner.

Some of the files you mentioned, such as Adobe-GB1-UCS2, are ToUnicode mapping files, which unidirectionally map CIDs to UTF-16 character codes. The others map between character codes, or have other specialized purposes for Acrobat or Distiller.

I maintain all CMap resources at Adobe Systems, and although the Acrobat team manages the ToUnicode mapping files, I am the one who maintains them. Almost all of the other Acrobat-specific mapping files (that use CMap syntax) have not changed for years. If memory serves, most were introduced during Acrobat 4.0 development, and haven't changed since then.

If these Acrobat-specific mapping files are to be placed under the same open source license, I will need to work with the Acrobat development team. I would prefer that they be included in a separate open source project.

Regards...

-- Ken