Re: [ft-devel] Bug on PowerPC: Illegal Intruction in FT_Get_Name_Index (

From: Clemens Koller
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Bug on PowerPC: Illegal Intruction in FT_Get_Name_Index (worksforme)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:33:04 +0200

Hi, Werner!

I have tried to go for the latest CVS, but I guess I have some
troubles to get through the autoconf scripts properly.

I did a
aclocal
sh ./autogen.sh
which runs fine.
but

./configure --prefix=/usr

complains about a missing AC_PROG_LIBTOOL:

checking for gzsetparams in -lz... yes
checking zlib.h usability... yes
checking zlib.h presence... yes
checking for zlib.h... yes
./configure: line 5051: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL: command not found
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating unix-cc.mk
config.status: creating unix-def.mk
config.status: creating freetype-config
config.status: creating freetype2.pc
config.status: creating ftconfig.h

whereis libtools tells me it's in:
/usr/bin/libtool

So, nothing special... Well...
How do you generate your configure scripts from scratch?
Step by step? I am working with the latest versions:

pkgconfig-0.17.1
libtool-1.5.14
automake-1.9.5
autoconf-2.59

Is freetype-2.1.10 now officially released?

Greets,

Clemens Koller
_______________________________
R&D Imaging Devices
Anagramm GmbH
Rupert-Mayer-Str. 45/1
81379 Muenchen
Germany

http://www.anagramm.de
Phone: +49-89-741518-50
Fax: +49-89-741518-19

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>  Wed Mar 10 2004 Mike A. Harris <address@hidden> 2.1.7-3 -
>  Added -fno-strict-aliasing to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to try to fix
>  SEGV and SIGILL crashes in mkfontscale which have been traced
>  into freetype and seem to be caused by aliasing issues in
>  freetype macros (#118021)

Okay, here is my latest buildlog: [...]

Ah, now I remember!  Sorry.  Meanwhile, the configure script always
adds -fno-strict-aliasing for gcc (regardless of the CFLAGS value).

So, my conclusion is (read the bugzilla report) that there still
might be a bug either in freetype or in gcc.

It has been already fixed in the current CVS since 2004-11-16.  With
other words, the current CVS should work out of the box.  Can you
verify this, please?

Why does it fail if I don't use -fno-strict-aliasing?

Because the FreeType code does some tricks which fail if strict
aliasing is active.  Fixing this is *not* trivial (and probably not
worth the trouble).