Re: [ft-devel] Bug on PowerPC: Illegal Intruction in FT_Get_Name_Index

From: Christian Demmer
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Bug on PowerPC: Illegal Intruction in FT_Get_Name_Index
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:58:38 +0200

Clemens Koller wrote:
>Hello!
>
>Well, about a year ago, we/you have had problems when building X11
>that mkfontscale crashes while processing Type1 fonts with an illegal
>instruction
>on powerpc. This was described several times in the archives, but I cannot
>find a bugfix for that problem.

I am not sure if this is of any help. I am using freetype for years on
MacOS X, PPC without seeing such problems. I don't use X11 most of the
time and I don't know X11 very well.

On my machine the Apple supplied X11 1.0 - XFree86 4.3.0 is installed.
If this version of X11 uses freetype internally I don't know for sure.

I did try the following: I copied UTBI____.pfa to a test directory and
ran mkfontscale. It does not crash and produces in fonts.scale:
3
UTBI____.pfa -adobe-Utopia-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
UTBI____.pfa -adobe-Utopia-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-adobe-standard
UTBI____.pfa -adobe-Utopia-bold-i-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1

Additionally I would suggest to expand the macro FT_FACE_LOOKUP_SERVICE
with ggc -E and paste it into the source, compile with no optimization
and check if service and service->name_index get sensible values
assigned.

Greetings, Christian