Re: [Devel] Re: djgpp and uppercase vs. lowercase file names

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: djgpp and uppercase vs. lowercase file names
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:30:20 +0200

> Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:54:21 +0100 (CET)
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
>
> > > Currently, we test for Windows NT by checking the `OS' environment
> > > variable whether it contains `Windows_NT'.
> > >
> > > We check for win32 by testing whether COMSPEC is defined and the
> > > output of the `ver' program contains the string `Windows'.
> >
> > But that would include DOS-based (i.e. not Win32) versions of
> > Windows like 3.1.
>
> Any idea how to handle this gracefully?

I'll try to suggest a method, but only for discovering whether the
shell is command.com or cmd.exe.  Are there any other reasons for this
test?

> BTW, we test for DOS as follows:
>
>   . Check DJGPP.  If set, platform is DOS.

Not good, at least not for the problem at hand: DJGPP could well be
set on Windows XP where the shell is cmd.exe.

> > But you *can* check the existence of %windir%\system32\cmd.exe and
> > use it if you find it (or is it better to use
> > %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe instead?).
>
> Is %windir% and %SystemRoot% always defined?

I think on Windows, the first one is always defined, while the second
one is only defined on NT/W2K/XP versions of Windows (not on 9X).  I
will look around and tell what I found.