Re: [Devel] Re: djgpp and uppercase vs. lowercase file names

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: djgpp and uppercase vs. lowercase file names
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:04:20 +0100 (CET)

> BTW, CMD.EXE is available on NT (or OS/2) but unavailable on 9X, so
> your basic problem is already solved, but you'll left with a
> disperfect solution on 9X, won't you?

Hmm.  Eli says that Windows 98 actually has cmd.exe.

> So the problem melts down to detect 9X; then VER is the correct way
> to go: VER on pre-9X will return "DOS version x.xx"; with Windows 95
> this was changed to "Windows version 95", in an intent to pretend
> that DOS was dead.  A nice side thing here is that NT VER also
> outputs "Windows", so one shot will do the whole trick.

If `OS' doesn't contain `Windows_NT', we are doing exactly that.

> Perhaps a bit of additional comments will be a good idea here.  I
> perhaps can do it if you indicate me what are the lines you were
> consulting.

It's in `builds/win32/detect.mk'.  I would be glad if you could verify
the current code.

> The problem then is to detect if you are running full-blown 9X (and
> Win32, and long filenames, are available), or if you are merely
> running "DOS 7.x", i.e. the underlying DOS in real mode but not the
> Windows kernel etc. (this can be done with GUI=0 or choosing an
> option at boottime).  DJGPP runs well in both cases, but in the
> second case there are no Win32 nor long filenames in sight.  The
> method above will give the wrong answer.  Basically, there are two
> options at this point:
>
>  - consider this case is not important and should be user-overriden
> (i.e., document in README)

Since I don't have such Windows platforms for testing, this is what I
would do.

>  - trying to detect plain DOS.  [...]

You are invited to contribute a test in builds/dos/detect.mk.  It
sounds simple, but I hesitate to add code which I never can actually
run.

Thank you to all who provided answers!