Re: [Devel] Re: djgpp and uppercase vs. lowercase file names

From: Ned Konz
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: djgpp and uppercase vs. lowercase file names
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:13:20 -0800

On Saturday 20 November 2004 9:27 am, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Since I don't use Windows: Can you sketch out how to detect `cmd.exe'?
>
> Currently, we test for Windows NT by checking the `OS' environment
> variable whether it contains `Windows_NT'.
>
> We check for win32 by testing whether COMSPEC is defined and the
> output of the `ver' program contains the string `Windows'.

But that would include DOS-based (i.e. not Win32) versions of Windows like
3.1.

Often (that is, by default) the environment variable %COMSPEC% includes the
string "cmd.exe" on Win32. When it does, you can use that as a pointer to
CMD.

However, this is not always the case (since you can obviously use a different
command interpreter).

But you *can* check the existence of %windir%\system32\cmd.exe and use it if
you find it (or is it better to use %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe instead?).

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com