[Devel] FT_Outline_Copy

From: Scott Long
Subject: [Devel] FT_Outline_Copy
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:56:51 -0700

It took me a while to track down a problem this morning, which turned out to be my incorrect use of FT_Outline_Copy(). I didn't notice the section in the manual stating that n_contours and n_points have to already match in order for the copy to take place.

I don't intend to complain, but what's the point in having this function if I have to do 50% of the work myself? If I've got to go to the trouble of setting n_contours and n_points, and then allocating the arrays myself, why not simply finish the job and do the memcpy() myself also?

The best reason I can think of is that Freetype can't know who "owns" the points and tags arrays beforehand, and therefore doesn't know whether it should free them, or allocate new ones. What that the original thinking?

I don't think it would be too terrible if there was another function, that allocated the arrays itself, and had a little note in the documentation reminding the user that he is responsible for freeing those arrays when finished with them. Perhaps in this function it would also be possible to make the argument order (dst, src) instead of (src, dst), which is another thing I found confusing (considering all the other copy functions e.g. memcpy, strcpy, a = b, etc).

Regards,

Scott Long
SwiftView, Inc. http://www.swiftview.com