Re: [Devel] Some numbers smaller than some others (TTF, Type1)

From: Sebastien BARRE
Subject: Re: [Devel] Some numbers smaller than some others (TTF, Type1)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:47:12 -0400

Hi Werner,

At 6/20/2002 05:17 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Attached is an image from pfaedit -- as you can see, the digits are
indeed smaller by about 4% (709 vs. 729 font units).  Doing

  ftstring -r 17 -m "Z1Z4Z" 69 n019003l.pfb

the difference is one pixel; using 70ppem instead of 69ppem, both
digits and letters have the same height.

The font has bad hinting in the PS version -- I've added ghost hints
to both digit 1 and 4 using pfaedit, and as the two attached xmag
images show, the digits are much better rendered after the correction.

Yes indeed (although I think the screenshot are inverted :).

Conclusion: The problem is in the font and not in FreeType.

Conclusion: I'm back to square one. Do'h.

We are looking for freely redistributable clone version of the Arial/Helvetica, Times and Courier fonts (normal, bold, italic and bold/italic faces). We spent a good amount of time searching on the net, and we came up most of the time with incomplete fonts with no real distribution policy. The Type1 fonts provided with XFree86 look fine, but they are missing a couple of faces. The Ghostscript fonts looked fine too, and URW, who contributed those to Ghostscripts years ago, was kind enough to allow us to do the same. Now this hinting problem is an issue, sadly.

Thanks for your help.