[Devel] Re: TrueType Embedded Bitmap

From: Yao Zhang
Subject: [Devel] Re: TrueType Embedded Bitmap
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:34:48 -0400 (EDT)

Mike A. Harris wrote:

> I'm a bit confused...  We're currently contemplating complete
> removal of the XFree86 libfont bitmap font scaling code.  Why
> would one want scaled bitmap font code somewhere else?

I was confused too.  There are serveral issues related to bitmap
font:

1.  Embedded bitmap font in TrueType Font file

FreeType 2 does support it.

2.  Bitmap font scaling

    a. Traditional monochrome scaling: Yes, it is ugly and should
    be removed/disabled.

    b. The new anti-aliased scaling: It looks very good as Brian
    demonstrated in his Mozilla code.  It is preferrable if it can
    be added to FreeType 2 for all the bitmap font (pcf, sbit in ttf,
    etc.)

3.  Graymap font

FreeType 2 deos NOT support it now.

Keith Packard wrote:

> Brian Stell (of clan Mozilla) has discovered a significant population
> which prefers to use anti-aliased versions of scaled bitmaps instead of
> outlines for Han glyphs.  With so many details in each glyph, the careful
> hand-tuning of the bitmaps has generated more readable results than
> the outlines do.

I won't go this far to say AA scaled bitmap font is better than
outline font.  My preference is that

    AA outline glyph > AA scaled bitmap glyph > un-scaled bitmap glyph
    > non AA outline glyph > monochrome scaled bitmap glyph

where someone else may prefer

    un-scaled bitmap glyph > AA outline glyph > AA scaled bitmap glyph
    > non AA outline glyph > monochrome scaled bitmap glyph

Here ">" means "better than".

Regards,

Yao Zhang