Re: [Devel] Re: TrueType Embedded Bitmap

From: Mike A. Harris
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: TrueType Embedded Bitmap
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:12:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 27 May 2002, David Turner wrote:

>Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 23:59:02 +0200
>From: David Turner <address@hidden>
>To: Yu Shao <address@hidden>
>Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>Subject: [Devel] Re: TrueType Embedded Bitmap
>
>Hello,
>
>Yu Shao a écrit :
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I asked following question on Xfree86's font list before:
>>
>Ahh, I'm a subscriber to this list, but I don't have the time
>to follow everthing that goes in there. Thanks for pointing
>this to me..
>
>> >/ Does any XFree's rasterizer, either freetype or xtt support TrueType
>> />/ Embedded Bitmap? Any idea on how to handle a truetype font with embedded
>> />/ bitmap data, although I believe it is not popular.
>> /
>>
>> And Keith Packard said :
>> FreeType2 does, so Xft can (and current CVS does).
>>
>> But I haven't found any info about this feature in FreeType2's docs, I would
>> appreciate it very much if you can give me more info about it.
>>

>It seems Keith is misunderstood. The term "sbit" as used in FreeType
>really means "embedded bitmaps" (it comes from the TrueType spec).
>
>It is only very remotely related to scaled bitmaps. And for now,
>FreeType doesn't support them. However, this wouldn't be a very
>difficult addition provided that you could provide some sources to
>base this work upon.
>
>I believe that Brian Stell has developed some bitmap scaling code
>for Mozilla. It'd be nice if he could point me to the relevant
>source files, I'd be happy to take a look at it..

I'm a bit confused...  We're currently contemplating complete
removal of the XFree86 libfont bitmap font scaling code.  Why
would one want scaled bitmap font code somewhere else?

I ask only out of confusion.  Scaled bitmap fonts are ugly, and
IMHO any code permitting scaling of them should default to off,
and be configureable.  Or am I off base here?

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,