Re: [Devel] [Fonts]Re: TrueType Embedded Bitmap

From: Conner
Subject: Re: [Devel] [Fonts]Re: TrueType Embedded Bitmap
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:42:50 +0100

I think that Freetype 2.1.0 now supports 16bit sbit (embedded bitmaps). The module is called "sfnt". A usage of this module can be found in package "ft2demos" (also in freetype project) and the binary is called "ftview". The effect of sbit is shown in http://moyang.org/sbit.html . The soucecodes calling sbit functions are in ft2demos->src-> ftcommon.i <http://cvs.freetype.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ft2demos/src/ftcommon.i> . Hope these would help. Thanks.

David Turner wrote:

Hello,

Yu Shao a écrit :

Hi David,

I asked following question on Xfree86's font list before:

Ahh, I'm a subscriber to this list, but I don't have the time
to follow everthing that goes in there. Thanks for pointing
this to me..

/ Does any XFree's rasterizer, either freetype or xtt support TrueType

/>/ Embedded Bitmap? Any idea on how to handle a truetype font with embedded
/>/ bitmap data, although I believe it is not popular.
/

And Keith Packard said :
FreeType2 does, so Xft can (and current CVS does).

But I haven't found any info about this feature in FreeType2's docs, I would
appreciate it very much if you can give me more info about it.

It seems Keith is misunderstood. The term "sbit" as used in FreeType
really means "embedded bitmaps" (it comes from the TrueType spec).

It is only very remotely related to scaled bitmaps. And for now,
FreeType doesn't support them. However, this wouldn't be a very
difficult addition provided that you could provide some sources to
base this work upon.

I believe that Brian Stell has developed some bitmap scaling code
for Mozilla. It'd be nice if he could point me to the relevant
source files, I'd be happy to take a look at it..

Regards,

- David Turner

Thanks,

Yu Shao