Re: [Devel] Close on exec for font files

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Close on exec for font files
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 11:11:27 -0800

Around 10 o'clock on Dec 26, Scott Long wrote:

> it is better to just use that API rather than introducing UNIX-specific
> code into a cross-platform library. If similar issues arise in Windows (I
> have no idea, don't program Windows) then this solves the problem on both
> platforms instead of just one.

If a similar issue arrises on another platform (it doesn't on Windows),
then the library could solve it there as well.  Here's a diagram of the
API heirarchy I'm dealing with:

        Application
           KDE
           Qt
           Xft
        FreeType

The application has no idea it's using FreeType, neither does KDE, nor Qt.
At the application level, it doesn't even know what fonts are in use; the
toolkit selects them based on the current UI theme in use.  So, I'd have
to add a blanket "clean up all open fonts" call at the KDE level and the Qt
level, and then special calls at the Xft level to pass through the
FT_Done_FreeType call.

As Qt is also cross-platform, this call will not be needed *except* on
Unix systems, where failing to call it may well cause problems.  Instead
of forcing applications to make a call which is not always needed, it
makes a lot more sense to have the library which knows that it is needed
handle it transparently.

The only relevant question that I can see is whether there is a case where
this call would be incorrect, and as the internal library state gets
destroyed across the 'exec', I find it hard to believe such a case exists.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab