Re: [Devel] Close on exec for font files

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Close on exec for font files
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 10:24:39 -0800

Around 11 o'clock on Dec 26, David Turner wrote:

> What do you mean "across exec" exactly ??

I mean using:

        ret = fcntl (fd, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC);

so that programs which happen to call exec get their font files closed
without forcing the application to know that underlying font files remain
open.  As there's nothing useful to be gained from leaving them open, it
seems sensible to simply make this call so that they are closed.

> If you need to automatically close and open input streams while the
> corresponding face objects are alive, I strongly recommend you to implement
> this with a custom FT_Stream type..

As 'exec' destroys the current VM environment, the face objects aren't
"alive" after it's finished.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab