Re: [Devel] Close on exec for font files

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Close on exec for font files
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 11:37:29 +0100

Hello Keith,

Keith Packard a écrit :

> I've noticed that FreeType leaves files open across exec.  Is there any
> reason not to have them set to close automatically?  It would avoid some
> (possible) access control issues and clean up the kernel file table a bit.

What do you mean "across exec" exactly ??

By default, FreeType will keep each FT_Face's FT_Stream _open_ until it is
destroyed (through FT_Done_Face). If you need to automatically close and
open input streams while the corresponding face objects are alive, I
strongly recommend you to implement this with a custom FT_Stream type..

Generally speaking, I don't think that implementing such a "feature" has
any thing to do in a font engine.. Custom streams can also be used to
access compressed files, remote ones, etc.. so there is little reason
to add another layer of complexity within the font engine and its modules
to deal with all of these..

But you may be talking about something different ?

Regards,

- David