Re: [Devel] PFR/OpenDoc driver now available

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] PFR/OpenDoc driver now available
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:21:15 +0100

Hello Jon,

"Jon M. Taylor" a écrit :

>         I have written a simple PFR/OpenDoc font driver module for
> Freetype 2.  It handles basic glyph outlines, simple and compound glyphs,
> and scaling.  It does not yet handle blue values, secondary strokes/edges
> or kerning.  Autohinted characters are rendered at 2x size for some
> reason, probably a simple bug.
>
>         A compressed diff against a vanilla 2.0.5 tree is available from:
>
> http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~taylorj/freetype.diff.bz2
>
>         Please give it a whirl if you can.  Feedback is appreciated, and
> in particular if anyone can point me to a freely available PFR which
> contains kerning tables so I can implement kerning, that would be quite
> useful as I cannot find one.
>
> Jon
>
> P.S. This is commercially sponsored by my employer, Pioneer Electronics.

Since you're distributing this code under the FreeType license,
would you appreciate if we added a new branch to the FT CVS repository
to store it ?.

By giving you commit rights, you'd be able to modify the source code
and share it much more easily with other people. The reason why this
wouldn't go into the main tree is that I want to release 2.0.6
pretty soon, and that the PFR/TrueDoc patent issues need to be
clarified before doing so..

Basically, if only PFR _hinting_ is patented, we could distribute
a driver using the auto-hinter, plus an additional configuration
macro to eventually implement the hinting (for people and companies
like yourself that have a license to).

If everything is patented in PFR, then the code would stay in a
separate branch and never be distributed with a default release
of the library, though still available to interested parties..

Any ther suggestions ??

Regards,

- David