[Devel] Problems with Adobe's free CID fonts

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: [Devel] Problems with Adobe's free CID fonts
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:02:06 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

Using the latest CVS code.  The fonts are the CID fonts that Ken Lunde has made
available from the O'Reilly ftp server:

    ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/examples/nutshell/cjkv/adobe/samples

Here are the types of problems I am seeing:

WadaMin-RegularH.cid: T1_Parse_CharStrings: invalid byte (19)
glyph   22: 0x0003
T1_Parse_CharStrings: invalid byte (19)

WadaMaruGo-RegularH.cid: T1_Parse_CharStrings: invalid subrs index
glyph   10: 0x0003
T1_Parse_CharStrings: invalid subrs index

WadaGo-Bold.cid: T1_Parse_CharStrings: invalid byte (23)
glyph  782: 0x0003
T1_Parse_CharStrings: invalid byte (23)

MunhwaHoonMin-Regular.cid: T1_Parse_CharStrings: invalid escape (12+142)
glyph 8095: 0x0003
T1_Parse_CharStrings: invalid escape (12+142)

MunhwaGothic-Regular.cid: T1_Parse_CharStrings: invalid byte (28)
glyph  132: 0x0003
T1_Parse_CharStrings: invalid byte (28)

The invalid subrs index problem is most likely a bug in the code (which I will
work on tracking down), but the invalid operator bytes has got me stumped.  As
far as I know, the only extensions to Type 1 charstrings for CJK fonts that
Adobe has made is for counter control hints.  These hints are implemented using
OtherSubrs entries 12 and 13.  Which means the byte sequence is 12 + 16.

This doesn't match any of the invalid byte/escape sequences above.

Any ideas?

Tom