Re: [Devel] Bitmap font file reading progress

From: Francesco Zappa Nardelli
Subject: Re: [Devel] Bitmap font file reading progress
Date: 19 Nov 2000 13:52:55 +0100

Hello.

I see three ways to add BDF and PCF support to the FreeType library:

1- Use the xc/lib/font/bitmap code of XFree86.

Advantages: Once the wrapper has been written, we get support for both
            BDF and PCF font format.

Flaws: X does not rely on the Adobe BDF specification version 2.2.
       For instance, it does not include METRICSET 1 (that is, vertical
       writing).  I have to figure out how much work is required to
       compile X bitmap library as stand-alone.

2- Use the excellent Mark Leisher BDF library.

Advantages: It fully complies Adobe 2.2 specification (am I right?),
            deals with many different PROPERTIES, performs error
            correction on malformed BDF file, and so on.

(Minor) Flaws: Quite huge library.  Missing PCF support.

3- I can write /ex-novo/ the two drivers.

Advantages: The code will take advantage of the framework provided by
            the FreeType library (streams, for instance) and of the
            "small is better" philosophy.

Flaws: It will take some time to me writing (and proving them correct)
       both the drivers.

I am looking for your opinions: both X and FreeType developers welcomed.

Regards,
-francesco