Re: [fluid-dev] New Reverb and Chorus API versus actual API

From: Ceresa Jean-Jacques
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] New Reverb and Chorus API versus actual API
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 20:28:02 +0200 (CEST)

>Tom: Side note: those existing shell commands have already been deprecated. Ofc. this should be reverted once this feature will be implemented.
>Marcus Ah, I wasn't aware of that. What was the reason for deprecating those shell commands?

The reason is that those actual shell fx commands are redundant with respective settings (synth.reverb.xxxx, synth.chorus.xxxx).

Instead, the user can use the commands: set synth.reverb.xxxx, set synth.chorus.xxxx which set the respective setting for all fx unit. Those

settings are real time and can be changed in a config file.

In the perpective of definitive deprecation of actual fx shell commands, the  new fx shell commands implementation (https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/pull/673) is only for individual fx unit.

(not for all fx units).

Also, because of the redundancy with new fx API (through the unit index -1 as a "catch-all"), I am favorable to deprecate the actual fx API. Otherwise we will get a complex

set of fx API functions and future developers will not advised (or confused) to use those new functions. Indeed, the use of -1 parameter as a "catch-all" is used in other API functions, so it

would not hurt developers.

Also, in the perpective of actual fx API deprecation, suffixing the new fx API name with 2 becomes not approriate and explicit name should be preferable. For example.

fluid_synth_set_reverb_fx_xxxxx(synth, fxunit_idx,xxxxx), fluid_synth_set_chorus_fx_xxxxx(synth, fxunit_idx,xxxxx).

Thanks for opinions.

jjc