Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth 1&2 parallel installation

From: Orcan Ogetbil
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth 1&2 parallel installation
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 21:34:24 -0500

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 10:01, Tom M. wrote:

> > This begs the question, is having the two parallelly installable possible
> > or not? [...] one of them is to change the installation targets, e.g. the
> > binary name, the include directory locations of fluidsynth1 to avoid
> > conflict with fluidsynth2.
>
> Only the include files would conflict. The libs are uniquely identified by
> their soversion.

Hi Tom,
In Fedora, the -devel packages contain an unversioned .so file which
is a symlink to the versioned .so file that sits in the -libs package.
This symlink would conflict also.

> The include files are part of the -devel package. If people don't install the
> -devel package, no such conflict should occur. I guess, your fear is that
> people do install the -devel package, while messing around with fluidsynth2?
> In this case, you're in trouble, I agree. And the only way to work-around
> this is to hack-around in cmake.

That's my conclusion as well; if we want users to install all
components of 1 and 2 simultaneously, we need to do some hacking.

> > ideas to solve the problem another way?
>
> Rather than spending time for a parallel-install-work-around, why not
> updating the API of the depending packages so that Fedora can finally update
> to fluidsynth2? This is the most beneficial solution for your users. I can
> assist in doing so. Could you pls. provide a list of packages?

I agree that this is the ideal solution. However the package list is
not small, which would make the maintenance of such patches
burdensome:

$ dnf -C repoquery --whatrequires fluidsynth-libs | grep -v
^fluidsynth | sed -e 's|-0:.*||' -e 's|-1:.*||' |uniq |sort
Last metadata expiration check: 3:11:05 ago on Mon Jan  6 18:14:02 2020.
ardour5
ardour5-audiobackend-alsa
ardour5-audiobackend-dummy
ardour5-audiobackend-jack
audacious-plugins-amidi
calf
Carla
Carla-vst
csound-fluidsynth
denemo
drumstick
gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-fluidsynth
lmms
lv2-carla
minuet
mpd
muse
prboom-plus
qsynth
scummvm
swami
tuxguitar
vlc

Note that not all packages above are maintained actively upstream.

Best,
Orcan