Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth 1&2 parallel installation

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth 1&2 parallel installation
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 16:01:47 +0100

> This begs the question, is having the two parallelly installable possible or not? [...] one of them is to change the installation targets, e.g. the binary name, the include directory locations of fluidsynth1 to avoid conflict with fluidsynth2.

Only the include files would conflict. The libs are uniquely identified by their soversion. The include files are part of the -devel package. If people don't install the -devel package, no such conflict should occur. I guess, your fear is that people do install the -devel package, while messing around with fluidsynth2? In this case, you're in trouble, I agree. And the only way to work-around this is to hack-around in cmake.

> ideas to solve the problem another way?

Rather than spending time for a parallel-install-work-around, why not updating the API of the depending packages so that Fedora can finally update to fluidsynth2? This is the most beneficial solution for your users. I can assist in doing so. Could you pls. provide a list of packages?

Tom