Re: [fluid-dev] Rerouting output

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Rerouting output
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 22:39:36 +0100

Hi Mike,

On Saturday 05 March 2011, mike wrote:
> Sorry I forgot to mention I have a Cakewalk branded MIDI/USB interface.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike
>
> On 03/05/2011 09:13 PM, mike wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > This is a related very noobie question.  What I would like to do is
> > very simple I hope namely play my keyboard controller if possible into
> > fluidsynth or an app that feeds fluidsynth and generate audio in real
> > time on a Windows XP laptop.  Doing it in Linux is impractical in this
> > instance.  From what I've read it's not clear to me if fluidsynth can
> > read from Windows' MIDI input interface.  I've been trying to figure
> > this out for a long time and there is loads of info out there but it's
> > way too much for me to get started with.
> >
> > I'll be very grateful for any pointers that can help me get started.
> >
> > Cheers in advance,
> > Mike

Yes, FluidSynth can read from Windows MIDI ports. Using the command line
interface program (fluidsynth.exe), you need to provide the exact port name
(including spaces) in the command line:

C:> fluidsynth.exe -o midi.winmidi.device="port name"

The list of available port names are listed in the sound settings of the
windows control panel.

It is much easier to use QSynth, a GUI interface of FluidSynth for this. In
this case, there is a combo box in the MIDI tab of the synth setup dialog.

Regards,
Pedro