fle3-dev

Re: Re: [Fle3-dev] ZODB bloat

From: Lauri Ojansivu
Subject: Re: Re: [Fle3-dev] ZODB bloat
Date: Thu Oct 10 10:51:02 2002

I got this reply from FreeZope admin:
-------------------------------------
On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 04:42:00PM +0200, Ojansivu Lauri wrote:
Yes, but did you only change html code so that Undo tab is not
visible? Is there any way to do so that packing ZODB isn't needed? On irc.openprojects.net #zope they said that there is for example http://dirstorage.sourceforge.net/ but from that site I understand that it may need packing too. They said at IRC too that there isn't reliable alternative to ZODB yet, but I'm not sure if it's true. Other options are LocalFS, there is some info about it's future at:
 http://www.zopezen.org/Members/zopista/1003285601/talkback/1003329569

Actually, I didn't change html code, I modified a permission. But indeed,
the ZODB still stores old transactions.

I'm asking this because one FLE3 is having problems with ZODB bloat:
http://mail.freesoftware.fsf.org/pipermail/fle3-dev/2002-October/thread.html
There is also my comment/question about it.

Zope is optimized for many reads, few writes. This is why things like homepage
counters can't be implemented in Zope very well, and you have to store the
actual counter on the filesystem, because each increment will create a new
transaction. I expect something similair is happening in FLE3.

There are some ZODB analysis tools (I wrote one, available at
http://vanderwijk.info/python/ZODBAnalyze), that analyzes the types of
transactions in the ZODB. The ZODB3 distro has a analysis tool included as
well. Perhaps this can help you determining what's exactly causing the bloat.

I remember reading from Zope.org that ZODB can be packed with cron
script that will pack it nightly etc. Do you have any other ideas that could help this situation?

You don't want FLE3 to depend on exotic ZODB Storage implementations, so
IMHO, that's not an option. Besides, the stable ones I know all implement
undoable transactions.

Regards,

        Ivo

--
Drs. I.R. van der Wijk -=- Brouwersgracht 132 Amaze Internet Services V.O.F. 1013 HA Amsterdam, NL -=- T +31-20-4688336 F +31-20-4688337 Linux/Web/Zope/SQL/MMBase W http://www.amaze.nl E address@hidden Network Solutions W http://vanderwijk.info E address@hidden Consultancy PGP http://vanderwijk.info/pgp -=-
__