fle3-dev

Re: [Fle3-dev] ZODB bloat

From: Samu Mielonen
Subject: Re: [Fle3-dev] ZODB bloat
Date: Wed Oct 9 01:43:01 2002

> Is there any additional information about the ZODB bloat I reported a
> couple weeks ago. I'm still stilling my ZODB go from 170 MB to 1.5 GB

To: DEV team

Just doing a quick search reveals some possible causes to ZODB bloat in
general in Zope:

1) Undo mechanism can cause a lot of bloat (at each change a copy
of an object in it's unchanged state is added to ZODB history). Diligent
use of my_variables can help (?):

http://www.ifi.uni-klu.ac.at/Public/Documentation/Zope/All-Zope-Tips-2000-05-02.pdf

2) Putting images in the ZODB instead of external file system
storage can cause bloat (consider ExtFile and ExtImage instead?)

3) Creation of too many instances of our ZClass when there is
actually no need to create a full object can aggrevate bloat
(naturally)

4) ZCatalog / transaction manager cause bloat do to the way they
build the catalog. Perhaps can be circumvented, although not trivial:
http://zope.nipltd.com/public/lists/dev-archive.nsf/0a8715d5f3c7b6a3802568c1006328f7/08e94c52cc21012e80256a7600570263?OpenDocument

Those are just quick leads, some may be red herrings.

I think this is one issue we will have to dig in thoroughly, when
we have the time (after this week's stable release perhaps?)

--
"Sed Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?" - Juvenal
mailto:address@hidden