[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Complexity of computing w/ Emacs

From: Stefan Reichör
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Complexity of computing w/ Emacs
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 07:33:47 +0200

Allen Halsey <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for sharing your experiences and tips, Chris!
>
> I've been wondering if there was a way to access recent files. I'll
> add recentf and tramp to my list of things to try.
>
>  From your response and from others, it seems it is common to have a
>  single emacs frame, or at most two (a separate dedicated frame for
>  gnus). And then just get efficient with the commands for switching
>  buffers, perhaps with the aid of iswitchdb, ido, or ibuffer.
>
> I guess one just must be diligent in seeking out and evaluating new
> ways to become efficient and adding them to your setup as you find
> keepers. It's a formidable task though. In some areas of
> functionality, say switching buffers, there is no clear consensus in
> the emacs community on what is the best way. So I feel I must evaluate
> each one. In this sense, the journey to becoming an effective emacs
> user requires that one must put oneself into the role of being a
> sophisticated software interaction designer, evaluating different
> competing approaches and writing your own customizations.

I use a combination from ibuffer, bubble-buffer and ido for buffer switching:

(global-set-key [(f12)] 'ibuffer)

;;; bubble-buffer
(when (require 'bubble-buffer nil t)
  (global-set-key [f11] 'bubble-buffer-next)
  (global-set-key [(shift f11)] 'bubble-buffer-previous)
  (setq bubble-buffer-omit-regexp "\\(^
.+$\\|\\*Messages\\*\\|\\*compilation\\*\\|\\*.+output\\*$\\|\\*TeX
Help\\*$\\|\\*vc-diff\\*\\|\\*Occur\\*\\|\\*grep\\*\\|\\*cvs-diff\\*\\)"))

;;;ido
(when (require 'ido "ido" t)
  (ido-mode 'buffer)
  ;;(ido-mode)
  (setq ido-enable-flex-matching t))

You can find bubble-buffer on my homepage: http://www.xsteve.at/prg/emacs
With that package I can select a recently used buffer, without
destroying the buffer order.

Stefan.