[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: remember-region: save the source file informati

From: Scott Otterson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: remember-region: save the source file information
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:05:01 -0700

Sacha Chua (6/20/2005 12:55 AM) wrote:
Would you like creating a task or note to automatically
create a bookmark for you?

If it did, would that go in a buffer somewhere, which could be pasted somewhere else? The planner bookmarking functions you mentioned (thanks) were indeed useful for referencing files outside of the Wiki. Here are some more questions about links:

1.) how can I make a link to a file or directory outside of the wiki (just the file, not lines inside of it)

2.) if, in a project page, I run planner-create-note, the note ends up in the day page but not the project page. Is that a bug?

3.) what is planner-create-task-from-note supposed to do? Is there a link between the task and note?

4.) is there anyway to make the remember or bookmark links more concise? I'd like them to display just the link name, like on a web page.

5.) if I change the text of a task or note, how can I get it to show up on both the planner and day page. planner-update-* seems like it should do this.

allout.el makes it easy to work with emacs-wiki/planner outlines
because you can hide and show subheadings easily. =) I used to keep
reindented stuff, but stopped bothering when I learned about allout.
There's nothing stopping you from doing the outlines your way. If you
can come up with a regular expression to describe your outlining, then
you can even have it highlighted nicely. Just give us a sample of the
way you outline, and we can help you write the code you need to get
emacs-wiki and Planner to dance to your tune. =) When you want to
publish the outlines, we'll help you figure out exactly how to get it
to come out the way you want. There's nothing sacred about the Planner
format. =) Planner is about what _you_ want to do. (* Some things may
need more figuring out than others.)

Thanks for the allout advice. I gave it a try so here are yet more questions:

1.) I've got two outline styles and I'd love to be able to use both in planner:

  * Style 1
    - has alternating '*-o'
    - indents
      o bullet symbol lines up with text on previous line
    - extra vertical space only between the top levels (usually)

  * Style 2
    1.) has numbers
        a. mixed with characters
           i. and little roman numerals

I'm more fixated on the first style because if an outline is long enough to require numbers, I'll usually go to Latex or something. Anyway, I tried setting up the first style with these customizations:

 '(outline-header-prefix " ")
 '(outline-plain-bullets-string "-*o"))

but found that the promotion and demotion functions (C-c <, C-c >) messed up the bullets. Any suggestions?

2.) Does anyone have an example of some allout.el fontlock settings? the default bolding of top headings is great but it seems like the topheads shouldn't be bigger than the note headings (.#1, .#2...)

3.) Is there a relationship between the note headings and the allout outlines? In other words, is the outline under a note heading (.#1, .#2) a part of that note? (note collapses outline, outline shows up on both project and day pages, ...)

4.) Is there way to make planner more outline or idea-centric? I tend to organize in a more by idea rather than task -- I like two write outlines and then put tasks in the middle of them. In an ideal world, I'd make a bunch of linked outlines with the TODO's mixed up in them; a task list on the project page would have the extracted TODO's, as would the day pages.

I tried out org-mode (http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/) and found that it was pretty close. However, for me, the fact that the outlines have '*****' type headers makes them too unreadable for me. But otherwise, it's pretty close.

Things I like in org-mode that I wish (or wish I could find in planner)

* outline display cycling (this is really great!)
* simple and logical shortcuts
* TODO's mixed in with outline
* easy to do arbitrary hyperlinks
* excellent ascii and html export
  - note: outlines in planner html exports get munched all on
    one line if you have many sublevels.
* very good documentation of the whole mode in a single pdf

Anyway, I really like org-mode but those '****'s are a big problem with it. Also, I'm kinda warming up to all the extra power in planner.el

Thanks for all the help,

Scott