[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: remember-region: save the source file informati

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: remember-region: save the source file information
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:55:32 +0800

Scott Otterson <address@hidden> writes:

> Wow, that was fast, so fast that you got it done before I had a
> chance to reconsider... I realized that stored line numbers would be
> brittle (a small change would break the reference). Better would be
> an approach like etags uses, a combination of line numbers and
> regexps. This is still breakable but more robust. Maybe it is also
> too much work...

Aha! You can use bookmarks. Planner has support for bookmarks,
incidentally. Would you like creating a task or note to automatically
create a bookmark for you?

> A question, then:  Is there a way in planner/emacs-wiki to write
> outlines in a fairly wysiwyg way?   To me, star outlines like in emacs
> outline mode or wiki markups are so hard to read that I've found I
> preferred plain old text with indents and '*' '-' and 'o' on the

allout.el makes it easy to work with emacs-wiki/planner outlines
because you can hide and show subheadings easily. =) I used to keep
reindented stuff, but stopped bothering when I learned about allout.

> front. The trouble of manually re-indenting and fixing the lead chars
> is worth the added readability.  I know that the exported html often
> looks great but I'm not planning on doing anything that fancy.

There's nothing stopping you from doing the outlines your way. If you
can come up with a regular expression to describe your outlining, then
you can even have it highlighted nicely. Just give us a sample of the
way you outline, and we can help you write the code you need to get
emacs-wiki and Planner to dance to your tune. =) When you want to
publish the outlines, we'll help you figure out exactly how to get it
to come out the way you want. There's nothing sacred about the Planner
format. =) Planner is about what _you_ want to do. (* Some things may
need more figuring out than others.)

> http://richip.dhs.org/~sachac/notebook/plans/CS21AFinalProject.txt
> hat you have a very nicely formatted text outline.  Is this something
> that planner helped you do, or did you do it manually.

I did that manually, but we can help you do that automatically. Just
tell us how you want things to behave, and we can give it a shot. =)

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed