Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Newbie Help: Creating Tasks with Subtasks with

From: johnsu01
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Newbie Help: Creating Tasks with Subtasks with Planner?
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 11:38:47 -0400

Matt Ellis <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm extreamly new to planner, I've read over the tutorial on EmacsWki.org, but
> I don't know how to do exactly what I want.

Hi Matt. Welcome. If you have any suggestions for the documentation and how it
works for people new to the software, please share them so we can improve it.

> What I'd like to do is add a bunch of tasks on things I need to do before
> moving to Indiana, but I don't want them to show up on daily pages or
> anything,
> just in the IndianaRelocation page.  How can I do this?

You create a new task, just like you did for Move to Indiana, but instead of
accepting the default date when it asks you "When", you type "nil" and hit
return. And enter "IndianaRelocation" for the project page just like you did
before. This will give you a task on the IndianaRelocation page that does not
show up on any daily page.

If you later would like to put that task on a daily page, you go to it and hit
C-c C-c (which copies or moves tasks), then enter the date that you want to put
the task on. The task will remain on your IndianaRelocation page, but now will
also be on the daily page you selected by entering the date.

> Also, could someone explain to me what the "When" question means when I make a
> new task?

Whatever date you answer to the "When" question will be the daily page that the
task ends up on. So, if you enter "2005.04.11", then the task will be placed on
the page 2005.04.11.

> Finally, do I need to do anything special so that unfinished tasks (clearly
> this Move to Indiana task will take a long time) move from dailly page to
> daily
> page?

There is an option called 'planner-carry-tasks-forward' that you want set to
true, or a number. Then whenever you do M-x plan , it will carry the unfinished
tasks forward.

You can set this either with M-x customize-variable <ret>
planner-carry-tasks-forward , or by putting (setq planner-carry-tasks-forward
t) in your .emacs file. If you don't always check your planner every day, then
you may want to do a number instead of t. If you do 5, it will check the last 5
days for unfinished tasks to carry forward. If you just use t, it will only
check the previous day.

The info manual that comes with Planner is also helpful. It's called
planner-el.info and is located in your planner directory. You can load it with
C-u C-h i .

--
-johnsu01
-http://www.wjsullivan.net