Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Assigning tasks to multiple projects/pages

From: Rainer Volz
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Assigning tasks to multiple projects/pages
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:26:26 +0100

    Berkan> At Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:05:38 +0000, James Clarke <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Is it possible to assign tasks (and possibly notes) to multiple
    >> projects/pages?

    Berkan> On the implementation side of this, every time I thought about
    Berkan> these issues, I've found myself imagining a single repository of
    Berkan> tasks and notes, in front of which different planner pages
    Berkan> constitute different views [of different task and notes
    Berkan> aggregates]. I'm not sure this [or anything with a separate
    Berkan> repository element] is the right way to go -- I really value the
    Berkan> simplicity of the current framework.

I guess most people on this list had thoughts like that, I certainly did.

The multiple assignement problem I solved for me by adding curly brackets
tags e.g., {{planner:ProjectX}}, to tasks and notes. This allows me to express
that the "normal" link to a Planner project page is the primary
category/project of this Planner item, the Planner projects mentioned in the
tags are secondary relations (just my convention...).

Having these relations it is relatively easy to extract them and to create
new pages that visualise them (emacs-wiki/planner is a simple file
format!). Generating pages has the advantage of maintaining the simplicity of
the Planner application, a disadvantage is the time-lag.

The main problem for me is, how to integrate the generated pages with the
normal ones. Currently, I publish them into a separate project, just for
experimenting. Otherwise I would probably start editing them, only to loose
my changes when regenerating.

I tried a two-window approach, Planner file on the left side, a file with
generated information on the right (read-only). It was intended to work like a
sidebar on a website, with links and information snippets related to the
current Planner page. Whenever I changed to a new Planner file, the
corresponding generated file would be automatically loaded into the other
window.

My prototype worked, but too many apps I used (e.g., remember) killed the
window arrangement with "switch-to-other-buffer", so I threw it away. If
anyone knows how to do this, I would be glad to hear about it.

- --
Rainer Volz
Virtuelle Projekte -- www.vrtprj.de
Virtual Projects   -- www.vrtprj.com