Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Assigning tasks to multiple projects/pages

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Assigning tasks to multiple projects/pages
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:40:25 -0500

Berkan Eskikaya <address@hidden> writes:

> At Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:05:38 +0000, James Clarke <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to assign tasks (and possibly notes) to multiple
>> projects/pages?

<snip>
> On the implementation side of this, every time I thought about these
> issues, I've found myself imagining a single repository of tasks and notes,
> in front of which different planner pages constitute different views [of
> different task and notes aggregates]. I'm not sure this [or anything with a
> separate repository element] is the right way to go -- I really value the
> simplicity of the current framework.
>
> Nevertheless, if there were a separate repository, I can imagine having
> planner files containing just UIDs to tasks and notes in the repository,
> which upon opening the file get dynamically expanded to the content they
> point to. Editing the content in the buffer will transparently update the
> content in the repository and thereby also on every other page that
> contains a link to the same content. So, we retain the current human
> interface to the planner but things happen a bit differently in the
> background.

I'm intrigued by the idea of having the ability to assign tasks to
multiple project pages.

However, I definitely do not want to see things go the direction
described above. I like being able to work with my planner pages as
independent text files. For example, doing things as you describe
would require a whole set of specialized search routines in order to
find anything (like on what date a task is scheduled for) rather than
just grep.

Unless there is a way to have a 'repository' whose contents are
actually 'published' in some way to individual text files, so that
those individual text files contain more than just IDs. Maybe that
would address some of my concerns.

--
[= John Sullivan       =]
[= address@hidden =]