Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: breadcrumbs?

From: Tibor Simko
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: breadcrumbs?
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 17:59:21 +0200

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Sacha Chua wrote:
> Hey, a script that goes through files updating next/previous links
> would be fun. It'd remove the need for my server-side PHP
> hack. You'd have to republish a few files whenever you create a new
> page, but that's about it. =)

Rather that next/previous links only, the feature full breadcrumb
navigation trail, covering multi-level page hierarchies such as:

  Home > Computers > Software > Editors > Emacs

would be nice to have.  See Jacob Nielsen's ``structural navigation''
at <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000109.html>.

For some projects I've been batch-producing these trails via WML
<http://thewml.org/>.  It would be nice to have similar capabilities
built in emacs-wiki, esp. automated generation of hierarchical
breadcrumbs/navbars/sitemaps.  Has anybody hacked something along
these lines already, to build upon?