[emacs-wiki-discuss] modify emacs-wiki.el to handle more tags/faces ?

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] modify emacs-wiki.el to handle more tags/faces ?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:18:09 -0500

The GCIDE (GNU version of The Collaborative International Dictionary
of English) uses a pretty large nonstandard tag set (described here:
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcide/gcide-0.46/tagset.web).

Would it be possible to modify emacs-wiki.el to accept a bunch of
user-defined tags in a data-structure as follows?

;; Here FACE is either the name of a known face as in
;; `w3-style-face-00009' or a color, as in "light blue".  If only a
;; color is given, then the default shape is used, but in that
;; color.

((TAG . FACE) ............  (TAG . FACE))

(I assume the answer is yes, by Turing completeness, so OK, next
question.)

Would there be a major performance hit?

(I worry that the answer is yes.)

Also, the tags sometimes appear in the <bad>text

(Again, I worry that the answer is yes, and wonder what's to be done
about it. Currently emacs-wiki.el does not seem to do anything
special with things like *[[Foo]]*.)

If this doesn't seem like a good thing to try to do with/to
emacs-wiki.el, can you suggest an alternative?