Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] HOWTO Integrate everything?

From: Paul Lussier
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] HOWTO Integrate everything?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:57:20 -0500

In a message dated: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:42:52 PST
Jody Klymak said:

>Hi Paul,
>
>I'll try and offer what advice I can...

Thanks, I really appreciate your time!

>>  (plan)
>>  (setq planner-carry-tasks-forward t)
>
>Don't you want to swap the two lines above?

I thought I tried it both ways, but neither seemed to do what I
expected.  I'll try again, I may have swapped the wrong lines :)

>I'm pretty sure you need:
>(require 'remember);
>;; remember-planner - a must have...
>(require 'remember-planner)

Hmmm, I may not have had those.  I'll add them and try again.

>This can be done by invoking planner-create-task-from-buffer.

Is that what's bound to C-c C-t ? Ahh, it's not.  I seem to not have
a planner-create-task-from-buffer function defined anywhere.  I must
not be loading something.

>It asks for a description, date, and Page.  If you have a project page,
>it will be added to the top of that page.  Note that
>planner-create-task does *not* prompt for a Page.

Ahhhh, okay, I think I'm beginning to see the source of all my
confusions :) I think my config is lacking a lot of stuff.

>>  - associate notes with certain tasks both in daily/project pages
>>  (i.e. I think the notes in the Notes section would be sort of like
>>  footnotes to the items in the Tasks section
>
>This can be done with targets.  i.e. I have a task that is really a
>meta task:

Targets?  What are targets?  I've somehow completely missed this
feature!

>#A1  _ Do things in RevelleLog#13 {{Tasks:101}} (RevelleLog)
>
>RevelleLog#13 is a list of sub tasks, but it could easily have been
>any kind of note.
>
>.#13 Talked with Rob: Two d FFTs 15:05 ([[2004.03.23#3]])
>Need to
>1) Figure out what spectral shape for shear is
>2) What should 2-D noise spectra look like? DONE - white in f and
>blue in k_z, just as we would expect.
>3) Smooth spectrally DONE - looks more useful.
>
>This is typed in manually.  I guess it'd be kind of fun to select a
>note and make a task associated with it.  Not sure if it'd be worth
>the coding pain.

Ahh, so RevelleLog is the current page and #13 is the target within
that page, such that when you select RevelleLog#13 you jump to that
section of the page?  That sounds just like what I'm looking for.
I assume that RevelleLog may or may not be the current page, and that
if you in say, a daily page and you reference RevelleLog#13, you will
not only jump to the RevelleLog page, but the #13 labelled item on
that page?

>>  - associate notes with Schedule items.
>>    (i.e. I might schedule:
>>
>>       12:30 | 13:00 | Staff Meeting
>>
>>     as a scheduled item, but want to make a note down below:
>
>Again, wiki links and targets are your friends for associating
>information across different pages and different parts of the page.

Hmm, okay, so I could have a link the Staff Meeting schedule item
with a target within the current day view to contain the notes I'm
interested in.

>>  - link tasks to multiple files.  Any given task may be related to:
>>
>>    - a daily page where it has a daily prioritization and due date
>>      (which gets carried forward indefinitely until it's completed)
>>
>>    - a project page where it has a project relative prioritization
>>      (which may be different than it's daily prioritization)
>>
>>    - a diary entry where I can make lengthy notes about that specific
>>      task

>The project page (and the daily page) both have a * Tasks and * Notes
>sections.  Right now, tasks created with planner-create-task-from-buffer
>are linked to the daily page and a project page of your choosing.

But do the priorities of the tasks on the Project page reflect the priorities
of the tasks on the Daily page, or can they be separate?  Iow, the
#A1 task for a project might not be my #A1 task for the day, it might
actually be #B3 or something.

>   - someway to show what the reality of a day *was* vs. what I had
>     scheduled:

Schedule is pretty feature light right now.  I don't personally use.
Instead, I basically blog my day out.  I take notes when I am working
on a certain project.  The notes have a time stamp, so I can see when
I was working and on what.  The missing three hours shows up as more
tasks carried over to the next day.

Ahh, okay.  How do you get time stamps on notes?

What exactly do you mean by 'blog my day out'?  And how is that
related to the planner/wiki?  Is it just a personal wiki page linked
into from the planner that is also separate from the planner
Projects pages, or is there a blog mode I missed somewhere?

>I hope this is helpful.

Immensely!  Thank you very much!

--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE